Lamb is a favorite and one of the most popular treats in the Mediterranean. She was always appreciated for juicy and aromatic meat. Usually, meat is used in the preparation of young lambs and castrated sheep, whose age does not exceed 3 years.
How to choose a lamb shank? Yes, it’s very simple: the meat should be elastic, pale pink, have white fat. Yellow - indicates that the lamb is old, it will be difficult to cook.
Step by step recipe for lamb leg in the oven
The main thing in cooking lamb is not to overdry. Because of this, the meat loses flavor, it becomes too harsh. Baked lamb is combined with vegetables, sweet and sour sauces. Lamb is best marinated with such herbs: thyme, marjoram, oregano. Everything is in your hands, you just want to try to cook a dish according to the recipe from the chef.
- In a separate plate for the marinade, mix olive oil, soy sauce, chopped garlic through a garlic press, pepper and herbs, salt, oregano, squeezed, with a little lemon, lemon juice.
- We divide the marinade into two parts: one part is needed for pickling for today, the second part is put in the refrigerator for tomorrow.
- We pierce the lamb leg with a shallow knife in several places on all sides, carefully lubricate the rudder with a silicone brush to half the prepared marinade. Wrap tightly in a cling film, put in the refrigerator overnight (for about 8-10 hours for marinating).
- The next day, we take out our meat, once again lubricate the remaining sauce. We tightly wrap the leg of lamb with foil so that when baking, the juice does not leak and does not burn. Preheat the oven 180 degrees and set our pickled lamb for an hour and a half. After the time has passed, we unfold the foil and let our delicacy brown for another 20 minutes.
- If you are older, increase the cooking time to 2 hours. Before serving, it is advisable to pour the finished leg with the juice that has been secreted. Bon Appetit.
How to cook a lamb leg in the oven so that the meat is soft and juicy
The meat prepared according to this recipe is incredibly tender, remains juicy, and also has a delicious ruddy crust. The dish can rightly be considered the star of the festive table. The uniqueness of the recipe lies in the minimum set of ingredients, and the excellent taste is achieved through properly selected spices.
- lamb leg - 2-3 kg,
- garlic - 2 heads,
- salt - 18-20 g,
- grains of cumin or zira - 1 tablespoon,
- coriander seeds - 1 tbsp.,
- rosemary and thyme - 2 branches,
- olive oil - 4 tbsp.,
- ground black pepper and chili pepper - to taste.
Pre-wash the lamb leg and dry with a paper towel. Hard films are then carefully removed. Thanks to this, the meat will turn out soft, and so that it is juicy, they leave a small amount of fat.
The next step is preparing the marinade. Cumin and coriander seeds are mixed in a mortar, thoroughly crushed. Add the peeled and chopped chili peppers, slices from two heads of garlic, salt, black pepper, thyme leaves and sprigs of rosemary, and olive oil to the same container.
All ingredients are ground to a homogeneous slurry.
If you cook leg of lamb in off season, or when there is no way to buy fresh herbs, you can replace it with a mixture of dried herbs.
Ready marinade rub meat from all sides, evenly distribute it. Pre punctures in the pulp do not. Otherwise, the juice will start to leak and the leg will become dry during baking. Now the workpiece is left in the refrigerator under the cling film for 2-5 hours, so that it is marinated.
About 3 hours before the time runs out, the leg is taken out of the refrigerator and left at room temperature. Then a semi-deep baking sheet is covered with parchment and the meat is transferred to it. A foil lid is made from above and the leg is sent to the oven, heated to 200 ° C for 80 minutes.
After this time, the lid of the foil is removed, and the meat is put to bake for another 35 minutes, then turn over and fry for half an hour. If the bottom of the lamb does not have a golden crust as we would like, the leg is once again turned over and kept in the oven for 10 minutes. The approximate baking time is 2 hours 50 minutes.
When the lamb leg is completely ready, it is taken out of the oven and left to lie on a baking sheet for about 20-30 minutes. During this time, you can make your favorite sauce. Caucasians prefer Tkemali and Satsebeli. The best side dish are grilled vegetables: sweet peppers, onions, eggplant, zucchini.
Oven-baked lamb leg in the sleeve
Many refuse to cook mutton due to the fact that this meat has a pronounced specific smell. But it appears only in those situations when the stage of stripping from the white upper films is neglected. To make the aroma more attractive and appetizing, the correct spices and classic marinade will additionally help.
- lamb leg - 1 pc. (1.8-2 kg),
- garlic - 3-4 cloves,
- thyme and rosemary - 2 branches,
- salt - 1.5 tbsp;
- black pepper - 1.5 tbsp.,
- honey - 1 tbsp
The lamb leg is thoroughly washed and excess fat is removed from above, films are removed. Then, on the one hand, shallow diagonal cuts are made in the pulp. Then rub with salt and pepper ham. The garlic is peeled, cut into slices and stuffed with meat through small punctures with a sharp knife.
Sprigs of rosemary and thyme are cut 3-5 cm long and put into diagonal cuts. If the honey is thick, it is flooded in a water bath or in the microwave, and then they rub their lamb leg on both sides. The meat is tightly wrapped in foil and marinated in the refrigerator for 4-5 hours, and preferably night.
Before cooking, in about 2-3 hours, the ham is taken out of the cold and allowed to lie down at room temperature. Then put in a bag for baking and place on a baking sheet. The oven is heated to 200 ° C and the meat is left in it for 2-2.5 hours. After the time has passed, the temperature is reduced to 160 ° C and baked for another 30 minutes.
To get a ruddy, delicious crust, about 15-20 minutes before the end of cooking, the lamb leg is taken out of the bag, transferred to a baking sheet and roasted in the oven. Upon completion of the process, the meat is left for 10 minutes and served to the table with a vegetable side dish and spicy sauce.
Tasty baked lamb leg in beer in foil
Baked lamb leg is a versatile dish that can be interpreted for any occasion. Due to the fact that the main ingredient will always weigh more than 2 kg, they can feed a large company. The whole charm of roasting ham in beer under the foil is in the simplicity of implementation and the unique taste of meat.
- lamb leg - 2.5 kg,
- beer - 3 l
- mustard - 150 g
- onions - 2 pcs.,
- bell pepper - 1 pc.,
- sour cream - 200 ml,
- salt to taste.
First of all they make marinade. To do this, put ready mustard, salt in a deep container and pour the necessary amount of beer. The lamb leg is cleaned from hard films, a small amount of fat is left, then it is placed in a baking bag and placed on a baking sheet. The meat is completely poured with marinade and left in the refrigerator for the night.
After time, unfold the foil, in accordance with the size of the lamb leg and lubricate the surface with vegetable oil. Then they take a leg out of the marinade and spread it on the prepared surface, tightly wrap the foil. The ham is baked for 4 hours at a temperature of 200 ° C, periodically add water to the baking sheet.
If the dish will decorate the festive table, then it is served "under a fur coat." To do this, fry onions, oyster mushrooms and bell pepper in a pan, salt and pour sour cream. Stew for about 5-7 minutes and allow to cool. The meat is cut off from the bone and spread on a plate. The cleaned bone from the ham is inserted into the total mass. Top with vegetables and serve.
Roll from Stalik Khankishiyev - video recipe
The simplest and most solemn dish of Caucasian cuisine is baked lamb leg. If you make meat according to this recipe in the form of a roll, it will definitely turn out tasty, juicy and aromatic. And all thanks to the fact that it will not be a whole ham, but a roll with carrots and prunes, dry garlic and spicy spices.
Cooking Juicy Lamb Leg in Tandoor
If there is a tandoor in the house, and in the refrigerator there is a fresh lamb leg, then from this tandem you can cook a quick, and most importantly, tasty and rare dish. A distinctive feature of this recipe is that the meat does not need to be pre-marinated. This saves time.
- lamb leg - 2 pcs.,
- garlic - 1 head,
- carrots - 1 pc.,
- ground black pepper - 1 tsp,
- allspice peas - 1 tsp,
- salt to taste.
Lamb legs are prepared: singe hairs, remove films and remove all fat. The latter gives the meat a specific smell that not all people like. Next are vegetables and spices. Peel the carrots and cut into bars, peel the garlic and leave whole slices.
Punctures are made in the mutton legs, and 1 slice of garlic and carrots are placed in each, next to a pea of allspice. Rub the meat on top with salt and sprinkle with black pepper. In this form, the ham is left for 30 minutes. For baking lamb legs in a tandoor, they are previously put on special hooks to make it convenient to hang meat.
Fry hams for 60-70 minutes, periodically checking the coals and adjusting the temperature and flame power by opening or closing the blower. After the lapse of time, the mutton legs are removed from the tandoor, cut into portions and served with vegetables or potatoes. In total, it takes about 90 minutes to prepare and prepare.
Spices for lamb leg
If salt and pepper are enough for chicken or pork, then only spices can turn a dish of lamb into a culinary masterpiece. For the lamb leg, the following are most suitable:
It’s not necessary to use all of them, you can choose by trial those that, in your opinion, make the finished dish the most fragrant and delicious. Almost all the hostesses, who are skilled in cooking lamb, agree that rosemary is perhaps the perfect seasoning for this dish.
Pickle lamb leg
Before cooking, the meat must be marinated. Marinade made from olive oil, vinegar or lemon juice and spices with the addition of white wine is well suited for lamb leg. Some people prefer pickling lamb using red wine, but such a dish turns out to be more sharp in taste. The proportions, as well as the number of spices, are by eye.
Although this is not practiced in the East, among the chefs of central Russia, a popular solution is to use bread kvass as the basis for the marinade.
The leg of a ram is often cooked whole, so that the meat is well marinated, you need to make deep cuts along the bone with a knife. The younger the lamb, the faster the meat will be pickled and, accordingly, the more tender it will be in the finished form. Ideally use the leg of a lamb, whose age is not more than a year. In dairy animals, the smell and characteristic taste of meat are absent.
If there is absolutely no time for marinating, then at least make deep cuts in the meat and stuff it with garlic and spices.
Lamb meat is a high-fat variety, therefore, regardless of the method of preparation, you need to cut fat from it. It is he who gives the finished dish an unpleasant smell and aftertaste. True, it is not advisable to completely deprive fat of meat, otherwise the cooked leg will be dry and stiff. You can, as an option, stuff it with pork fat.
Features of lamb leg roasting
Some bake a leg of lamb with bone, others extract it - this is a matter of taste and personal preference. In the oven, as a rule, lamb is cooked in foil or in a sleeve - then it will turn out more tender and juicy.
True, about 7 minutes before readiness, you need to cut the sleeve or open the foil - this manipulation will allow the meat to brown and find a crisp, mouth-watering crust.
A feature of baking a lamb leg is that it is initially cooked at maximum temperature, and 20 minutes before the end of cooking, reduce heat to a minimum. Such a secret allows cooked lamb to literally melt in your mouth.
You can also bake potatoes with meat. To prepare the French dish Gigot, the potatoes are boiled until half-prepared, then fried in a mixture of vegetable and butter with pepper and a pinch of salt. 5-7 minutes before the meat is ready, put the potatoes to it and harvest both products together.
Stuffed lamb leg - video by Julia Vysotskaya
Oriental culture is rich in national dishes. One of the most beloved and popular, which is prepared for various holidays, is a baked lamb leg stuffed with basmati rice and dates. This combination can rightfully be called classic, which means that the treat will turn out to be tasty and will appeal to all guests.
How delicious to bake a ram’s leg on the grill
The method of cooking on charcoal, and in particular on the grill, can be called one of the oldest in the world. So our ancestors brought the meat to taste and the descendants will continue to do the same. This recipe will appeal to those who are tired of the usual kebabs, because the main ingredient is a whole ham.
- lamb leg - 1 pc. (2-2.5 kg),
- onions - 5-6 heads,
- a mixture of spices for lamb - 2 tsp,
- dry adjika - 1 tsp,
- zira - 1 tsp,
- ground black pepper - 2 tsp,
- garlic - 3-4 cloves,
- vegetable oil - 3-4 tablespoons,
- soy sauce - 3 tablespoons,
- mustard - 2 tbsp.,
- honey - 1-2 tbsp
White films are removed from the lamb leg and some fat is removed. The bone is peeled and trimmed so that it fits on the brazier. Onions are peeled, washed and rubbed on a fine grater. The result is a thick slurry with juice, so the process is done in a deep bowl.
At the next stage, rub the lamb leg with salt, a mixture of spices for lamb, dried adjika, black pepper, zira. The last layer of ham is generously covered with onion gruel on all sides. Then vegetable oil is poured and distributed over the surface, garlic cloves cut in half are added and folded in a plastic bag. Marinate meat in the refrigerator for a day.
When time runs out, a ham is taken out, large parts of onion marinade are removed from it and rubbed again with vegetable oil. Immediately before cooking, the lamb leg is sealed in 2 layers of foil. The blank is placed on the grill for barbecue and sent to the hot coals. Fry the leg for an hour, periodically turning over.
After the time has passed, remove the foil from the meat, put the ham in a grid and again send it to the coals. Now they fry the leg for 5 minutes, and then lubricate it on all sides with a mixture of soy sauce, mustard and honey. Bake until a golden caramel crust appears for about 7 minutes. Serve hot with fresh vegetables.
Recipe for a mutton leg in a slow cooker
A crock-pot is a real lifesaver for housewives. But you can cook in it not only ordinary, everyday dishes, but also such delicacies as baked lamb leg. The only inconvenience to face is the form of the ham. In order for the meat to be of equal degree of readiness on all sides, a wide part is covered with foil.
- lamb leg - 1 pc. (2-2.5 kg),
- potatoes - 4-5 pcs. (medium size),
- garlic - 1 head,
- black pepper to taste
- salt to taste
- rosemary - 2-3 branches,
- red wine - 100 ml,
- vegetable oil - for frying.
The lamb leg is thoroughly washed under running water, dried with a paper towel, the upper films are removed and fried on both sides in a hot pan with the addition of vegetable oil. The potatoes are peeled and cut into large cups or random pieces of medium size. Half the head of garlic is passed through a press. At the bottom of the multicooker lay the potatoes and the remaining cloves of garlic.
Sprinkle the lamb leg with salt and black pepper and rub it with chopped garlic. Lay the meat on top of the potatoes, add the rosemary and pour the wine. All ingredients cover and start cooking.
If the ham bone sticks out of the bowl, and the lid does not close, then for uniform cooking of meat it is covered with foil, in which several punctures are made.
On the slow cooker, select the "Stew" mode and leave the meat and vegetables for 2 hours. If there is time, select the option "Su-view" and simmered mutton at low temperatures. In this case, it takes 6-8 hours to fully cook. After time, the meat on the bones is taken out and immediately served on the table in hot form with a side dish. I think that here and winter salads from cabbage in banks will do. And, of course, fresh vegetables.
Odorless Lamb Leg Tips
Lamb leg, baked in the oven or cooked on the grill, will definitely decorate the festive or everyday table. Many are afraid to cook this meat, because it seems that to master the technology, given only to people with hot eastern blood. However, everything is much simpler, and you just need to understand a few simple secrets.
To make the meat juicy and odorless, do the following:
- A sufficient acid content marinade is used. It also helps soften dense fibers.
- So that the meat does not dry out on the grill or grill, it is important to always control the temperature level (I turn it over every 15 minutes).
- Before baking or roasting a lamb leg, be sure to withstand at room temperature, otherwise the cooking time increases.
- When the ham is served to the table, it is not immediately cut, it is necessary to let it stand for 10-15 minutes, so that the juice inside is distributed over the fibers.
- Meat is cut only against the fibers, otherwise it will chew badly and seem rubber.
The main feature in the preparation of the leg of lamb is that it is first baked at high temperature. Only at the end, in about half an hour, they lower it. Thanks to this technique, the meat just melts in the mouth.
Roasted leg of lamb in the oven with rosemary, caraway seeds and garlic
I greet you, dear friends, and guests of the culinary site Home Restaurant! Today, our menu has a rather unusual dish for our latitudes - a lamb leg baked in the oven. If you like simple meat dishes, and you want to surprise guests, then my today's recipe for baked lamb leg in the oven you will surely like. Believe me, there is nothing easier than pickling and baking a lamb leg in the oven. The technician will do all the work for you, and you just have to set the timer for the oven, or periodically glance at the meat.
I was cooking lamb leg in the oven for the first time, and opted for a classic marinade with rosemary, caraway seeds, garlic and olive oil. The result pleasantly pleased all my guests at the New Year's table - the lamb leg with rosemary baked in the oven turned out to be soft, juicy and without a specific taste of lamb, for which many do not like this meat. I served lamb in the company of yellow cherry plum tkemali sauce, but other sauces are also suitable: plum satacelles, barbecue sauce or classic adjika.
The only minus of the recipe, I think the time of baking a lamb leg in the oven. In order to get a juicy lamb leg baked in the oven, you need to not only set the oven temperature correctly, but also properly marinate the meat. All these subtleties will be discussed later. So, meet - the lamb leg baked in the oven with a photo step by step at your service!
- lamb leg weighing 2.5 -2.6 kg.
- 5 tbsp olive oil
- 2 heads of garlic
- 2 tsp caraway seeds
- 2 tsp rosemary
- 1.5 tsp sea salt
How to bake a lamb leg in the oven:
We need a small leg of lamb weighing 2.5-2.6 kg. It is very important that the lamb is fresh and not pre-frozen. Therefore, it is best to go to the market early in the morning for a lamb leg.
The whole lamb leg is too big, and baking such happiness in the oven is extremely inconvenient, so I chopped my leg into two. You can leave the lamb leg in its entirety if you are going to bake meat on the grill, but this is a completely different story, and another recipe. Wash the meat and pat it with a paper towel.
We will prepare all the ingredients for the marinade: peel the garlic, measure the rosemary, caraway seeds and sea salt.
Next, we need to grind all the ingredients for the marinade so that they give lamb their tastes and juices as much as possible. Ideally, this should be done in a marble mortar, but I did not find one on the farm, so I used a blender.
Pour olive oil into a small blender bowl, put the garlic, salt and all the spices, as required by the recipe for baked lamb leg in the oven and beat at minimum speed. It should be a marinade with slices, and by no means homogeneous.
We shift the lamb into a heat-resistant form of a suitable size, and evenly distribute the marinade over the meat.
Tighten the form with lamb meat with cling film and put in the fridge to marinate for at least six hours, or better for a day.
When the lamb leg is well marinated, it's time to send the meat to bake. We remove the cling film and cover the mold with foil. In fact, it will be a leg of lamb, baked in the oven in foil, but in a simplified version. We do not need to roll up pieces of meat, but just tighten the form. This method will not affect the juiciness of meat. We send the form with lamb in preheated to 200 degrees. the oven.
You probably are interested in the question: how much to bake a leg of lamb in the oven? Expect approximately 4-4.5 hours. The first hour we bake mutton at 200 degrees until the appearance of boiling in the form. Then we reduce the degrees of the oven to 150, and make sure that the meat languishes in juices without a strong boil for three hours.
After the specified time, you can get the lamb from the oven, and check the readiness: If the meat easily leaves the bone, then the leg of lamb baked in the oven is ready. If you like lamb with a delicious golden crust, you can additionally leave the form without foil under the upper grill for 3-5 minutes, it all depends on the power of the grill in your oven.
Serve the lamb immediately while the meat is hot. As you know, in a cold form, lamb loses most of its taste, and you will sooner get disappointment than pleasure.
Friends, now you not only know how to bake lamb leg in the oven correctly, but also how to get very tasty, soft and aromatic meat at the exit. I hope you enjoy my recipe, and you will certainly prepare a leg of lamb, baked in the oven on occasion for your loved ones.
I look forward to receiving your feedback and comments on the recipe! See you at the Home Restaurant website! Always your Olga
Mutton. The subtleties of cooking
- If the chicken is good in itself and does not particularly need spicy herbs, then lamb reveals its unique aroma precisely thanks to aromatic spices and spices.
- What kind of spices will it be, the hostess decides on her own, based on her own preferences. But still, you need to take into account the classic set of spices that are most suitable for lamb: dill, garlic, mint, marjoram, rosemary, sage, jusai, savory, thyme, bay leaf, basil, thyme, oregano.
- Lamb must always be pickled before baking. Moreover, the exposure time in the marinade depends on the age of the carcass: the older it is, the longer the meat is pickled. Sometimes pickling lasts for 2-3 days, but most often enough and 8 hours.
- To prepare the marinade use table vinegar, balsamic vinegar, lemon, wine (red and white), various spices and spices, olive oil, natural yogurt. Proportions are created to taste.
- Before marinating on the leg, it is imperative to make several punctures on each side so that the marinade penetrates deeper into the tissue.
- The baking time depends on the temperature in the oven. But you always need to follow the rule: first, the meat is baked at a high temperature so that a fried crust forms on the surface, which “seals” the juice inside a piece of meat. Then the temperature is reduced and the meat is brought to readiness.
- Lamb - fat meat. Before baking, part of the fat is removed, because it is he who gives the meat that specific smell that repels many. But if you remove all the fat, the meat will turn out lean and dry. Therefore, if the ham is lean, it is stuffed with fat.
- Lamb leg (ham) is prepared both on the bone and completely without it, focusing on the taste of eaters.
- The optimum weight of the leg of the lamb for baking is 2-2.5 kg along with the bone.
- The ham is baked in the open, in the sleeve, in foil. But in any case, the leg of lamb should be covered with a golden brown. For this, it is freed from the shell (foil or sleeve) at the end of preparation and brought to readiness.
Read more Lamb stewed with eggplant and tomatoes
Roasted lamb leg with rosemary
- lamb leg - 2.5 kg,
- rosemary - 2 branches,
- olive oil - 50 g,
- garlic - 3 cloves,
- lemon zest.
- Lamb leg is treated by removing tendons and excess fat, washed.
- Soaked in the selected marinade.
- Dry with a paper towel.
- Punctures are made in the leg, into which rosemary is stuck, cut into pieces.
- Mix oil with chopped garlic and zest. Rub the mixture with the foot.
- Place it in a greased form and place it in an oven heated to 220 ° C.
- After 30 minutes, lower the temperature to 170 ° C and continue baking for another 1.5-2 hours, depending on the size of the legs and the age of the carcass.
- Leave the meat in the oven for 15 minutes, and then take it out and cut into portions.
Spicy Lamb Leg
- lamb leg - 1.2 kg
- garlic - 5 cloves,
- rosemary - 1/2 tsp.,
- peppercorns - 7-8 pcs.,
- olive oil - 150 g,
- bitter mustard - 1 tsp.,
- lemon juice - 20 g,
- thyme - 1 tsp,
- bay leaf - 2 pcs.
- The lamb leg is washed and dried with a towel.
- All spices are crushed in a mixer and mixed with oil.
- The meat is doused with a mixture, crushed with oppression and left for 8 hours for marinating.
- The leg is slightly dried and placed on a baking sheet, which is sent to the oven, heated to 220 ° C.
- After half an hour, the temperature is reduced to 180 ° C and the leg is prepared for another 1 hour 15 minutes, periodically pouring with marinade.
- The finished dish is covered with foil and left for 10 minutes.
Lamb leg baked in a sleeve
- lamb leg - 2 kg,
- garlic - 4 cloves,
- mustard with grains - 1 tbsp. l.,
- wine vinegar - 1 tbsp. l.,
- olive oil - 1 tbsp. l.,
- salt to taste.
Read more Knuckle baked in a slow cooker
- The prepared ram leg is washed and blotted with a paper towel.
- For the marinade, mix all the spices.
- Deep punctures are made in the leg and rubbed with marinade.
- Place the foot in the sleeve and tie it. Marinate for 6-8 hours.
- A leg in the sleeve is placed on a baking sheet and sent to the oven, heated to 220 ° C, for half an hour.
- Then reduce the temperature to 180 ° C and bake the leg for another hour.
- Take out the baking sheet from the oven, cut the sleeve along. In this form, baking is continued for another half hour until a crust appears.
- The ham is allowed to rest for 15 minutes and is served at the table.
Baked lamb leg
- lamb leg - 2.5 kg,
- ground white crackers - 1 cup (250 ml),
- olive oil - 200 ml,
- chopped parsley - 3 tbsp. l.,
- chopped dill greens - 3 tbsp. l.,
- white wine - 50 g
- curry - 1 tsp.,
- garlic - 4 cloves,
- salt to taste.
- Prepare the marinade from wine, oil (50 g), crushed garlic, curry and salt.
- The leg is put in a bag, smeared with marinade and put in the refrigerator for a day.
- They take out a foot and pour oil.
- Biscuits are mixed with dill and parsley and generously roll their leg in them.
- They put a foot on a baking sheet and send it into the oven, heated to 220 ° C. After half an hour, the temperature is reduced to 180 ° C and the meat is baked for another 1.5-2 hours.
- Allow ham to rest for 20 minutes and serve.
Baked lamb leg with potatoes
- lamb leg - 1.5 kg,
- rosemary - 3 branches,
- young potatoes - 1 kg,
- garlic - 3 cloves,
- red wine - 50 ml
- olive oil - 50 mg,
- salt to taste
- ground black pepper to taste.
Read more Chops baked with mushrooms, tomatoes and cheese
- The prepared leg is dried, several deep incisions are made on the skin.
- The meat is stuffed with pieces of garlic, rubbed with salt, pepper and greased with oil.
- A baking sheet is greased with oil, put rosemary. A foot is laid on top of the grass.
- Lamb is baked at 220 ° C for 30 minutes, constantly turning over and pouring meat juice and wine.
- Spread whole potatoes around the leg, salt, pepper and bake for another 15 minutes.
- The temperature is reduced to 180 ° C and baked leg with potatoes until the meat is ready (about 1.5 hours), not forgetting to water the allocated juice.
It is believed that the most useful marinade is obtained if it is cooked with cloves, red and black pepper, ginger and onions.
You can add lemon, garlic and herbs to the marinade, which improve its taste.
Scientists have proven that marinades prevent blood clots and also prevent obesity.
How to bake a lamb leg in the oven according to recipes of outstanding chefs
August 14, 2017 1868
Lamb is considered one of the most delicious and expensive types of meat. It requires proper processing and preparation, then the dish turns out incredibly tasty and truly exquisite. There are many recipes for cooking lamb at home, and the best of them will be described below.
How to marinate lamb tasty
So, lamb is, first of all, a delicious kebab. But meat can be pickled not only in order to cook it in nature, because this processing is perfect for home dishes:
|Lamb cut into small pieces||1 kg|
|Tkemali sauce hot||100 gr|
|Fresh Tomatoes||4 things|
|Dried barberry||1 tbsp|
|Fat tail fat||50 gr|
|Zira, ground||1 tsp|
|Ground black salt and pepper||Taste|
Meat is marinated for at least 2 hours. Ideally, it should stand in the marinade for 3 hours. The calorie content of such a dish is 226 kcal per 100 g.
What is the cooking process:
- The onion will need to be peeled and cut into half rings, then it’s good to mash it with your hands and set it aside,
- Pour the tomatoes with boiling water, then carefully peel the peel from them and cut them very finely,
- Place the pieces of lamb in a deep bowl, cover them with onions, pour finely chopped tomatoes, and also fat tail fat,
- Finely chop the greens, add it to the meat, salt and pepper all the ingredients to taste, mix by hand,
- The meat should be marinated at room temperature for at least 2-3 hours.
How long does it take to bake a lamb leg in the oven
The baking time here will depend on the selected temperature. For example, at a temperature of 170 ° -180 ° this dish should be cooked for at least 2 hours. If the temperature is 220 °, then for baking it will be enough and 20 minutes.
Lazy cabbage pie: the recipe for cooking is in our publication on the site.
Avocado salad recipes are in this article.
Here you can find interesting recipes for beef main dishes.
In order to cook at home a lamb leg according to the classic recipe, you will need a number of products:
|Leg of lamb||Approximately 2.5 kg|
|Liquid honey||1 tbsp|
|Coarse black pepper||½ tsp|
|Ground red pepper||½ tsp|
|Vegetable oil||2 tbsp|
|Mustard (preferably spicy)||1 tbsp|
The time it takes to prepare the product will be exactly 12 hours, the preparation itself will take 2 hours 40 minutes. 100 g of such a dish will contain about 276 kcal.
The lamb leg baked in the oven will turn out to be unique, if all the stages of cooking are precisely observed:
- The lamb leg should first be thoroughly washed in cold water, then blotted with paper towels or napkins,
- If the product has too much fat, it is recommended to remove its excess with a knife,
- Cut the fat into small pieces, set aside,
- Peel the garlic, cut each slice lengthwise into two parts,
- Pierce the leg of a ram on all sides with the tip of a knife, you should get 20 small holes,
- In each puncture, insert one half of garlic and one small piece of lamb fat,
- In a separate bowl, prepare the marinade: mix honey with black and red pepper, add mustard, vegetable oil, salt, mix everything thoroughly,
- Coat the lamb leg completely with the resulting marinade, then wrap in plastic wrap and put in the refrigerator for 12 hours,
- After the specified time has passed, the product must be freed from polyethylene and wrapped in parchment paper, then put on a baking sheet,
- Preheat the oven to 170 °, after putting the dish bake for 2 hours,
- After 2 hours, remove the baking sheet, cut off the top layer of parchment paper (leave the bottom layer as is),
- Set the temperature of the oven at 220 °,
- Put the baking tray with the dish in the oven again and cook it for another 20 minutes,
- Remove the finished dish from the oven, transfer to a suitable dish, let it cool for 10 minutes, then serve.
Roasted lamb leg in the oven in foil
This dish will become a real highlight of the festive table, and for it you will need the following products:
|Fresh lamb leg||About 2.5 kg|
|Hot mustard||2 tbsp|
|Olive oil||4 tbsp|
|Onion medium||1 PC|
|Medium carrot||1 PC|
|Bay leaf||2-3 pcs|
|Spices (any that are suitable for meat, such as Provence herbs, basil, coriander, rosemary, pepper, bay leaf, etc.)||Taste|
The lamb leg should lie in the marinade from 3 hours to 12 hours (depending on the available time), it will take about 2 hours to cook in the oven. The approximate number of calories per 100 grams of such a dish will be 300 kcal.
How to cook a foot in foil step by step:
- First you need to process the meat itself: rinse it under a stream of cold water, dry it with paper towels,
- Finely chop the greens, finely chop the garlic,
- Prepare the marinade: in a separate bowl, mix the available spices, herbs, add olive oil to them, add part of the garlic,
- Cut the lemon into two halves, squeeze the juice out of them and add to the marinade,
- The resulting mixture should be mixed until smooth,
- Grate the meat very carefully with the resulting marinade, then wrap it in foil and put it in the refrigerator to pickle (as mentioned earlier, for at least 3 hours),
- After the time has passed, unfold the foil, cut the meat in several places, put prunes and garlic in each cut, then coat the meat with mustard, put the remaining prune on top of the meat,
- Peel and chop the onion and carrots as large as possible (you can put them next to the mutton in its entirety),
- The finishing touch is to sprinkle the meat with cloves for flavor, and then wrap the future culinary masterpiece back in foil,
- Preheat the oven to 220 ° -230 °,
- Bake the dish at this temperature for 1 h 20 min, then reduce the temperature to 180 °, cut the top layer of the foil and cook the lamb for about 30-40 minutes, constantly pouring it with the allocated juice,
- Serve the finished dish on the table in whole or in cut form.
A meat dish prepared in a sleeve will turn out to be very juicy and aromatic, and for this you will need the following ingredients:
|Leg of lamb||1.5 kg - 2.5 kg|
|Dried rosemary||2 tbsp|
|Bay leaf||10 pieces|
|Olive oil||1 tbsp|
Meat should be marinated for about 2 hours, and the preparation itself will also take about 2 hours. 220 grams of calories will be contained in 100 g of such a dish.
Step-by-step recipe for cooking dishes in the sleeve:
- Prepare the marinade in advance: for this, in a deep bowl mix rosemary, pepper, salt, pour everything with a part of olive oil,
- Finely chop the garlic, introduce it to the marinade, crumble the bay leaf there,
- Rinse the lamb and grate it thoroughly with marinade, then refrigerate for 2 hours,
- Meanwhile, peel the potatoes, cut them into small cubes or slices, put in a bowl and sprinkle with rosemary, salt, pepper, then add olive oil,
- After 2 hours, put the potatoes in the sleeve, and then the leg of the lamb,
- Preheat the oven to 180 °,
- Bake the dish for 2 hours, then serve in a chopped form.
Recipe from Stalik Khankishiyev
A dish according to the recipe of the famous chef will turn out not only very tasty, but also beautiful. Such a baked lamb leg in the oven will become the main dish of any holiday table:
|Leg of lamb||1 PC|
|A tomato||1 PC|
|Fat||100 gr approx|
|Pepper, salt, spices||Taste|
To prepare this dish should take at least 2 hours - 2.5 hours. About 100 grams will be contained in 100 grams.
Cooking according to this recipe:
- It will be necessary to remove the vein and the femur from the leg, and then clean the muscles from the films,
- Remove excess fat and fat from meat, set them aside,
- Chop onions and carrots,
- Pour the tomato over boiling water and peel it, then finely chop it,
- Put the frying pan on the fire, put the lard cut from the meat into it and heat it (but do not fry),
- When there is enough fat at the bottom of the pan, you can spread the onion and fry it until golden.
- Next, put the carrots onion, stew it until soft (pilaf aroma should appear),
- At the end, spread finely chopped tomato, fry all three ingredients until the smell of fresh tomato disappears,
- Pour a little boiling water into the pan (you can use the broth) and simmer the vegetables until cooked, salting them and adding a small amount of sugar,
- Put the prepared vegetables in a separate bowl, they must cool down (it is advisable that the fat freezes completely, otherwise it will be impossible to stuff meat with warm filling),
- When the vegetable stew is cold, it can be laid out in the cavity of the lamb leg, which was formed when the vein and bone were removed,
- Pepper and salt the stuffing again, then tie the leg with thread (you can even sew it up),
- Put the lamb on the oven grate, substitute a suitable dish from below, into which fat and juice will drain, bake the dish at 180 ° for 1.5 hours - 2 hours, gradually lowering the temperature near the end of cooking,
- Put the finished dish on a large plate, remove all the threads, slightly open the meat so that the vegetable stew flows out and looks like a side dish.
Lamb leg baked in the oven, according to the recipe of Julia Vysotskaya
This dish from Julia Vysotskaya, a cooking guru, can also rightfully be considered a festive masterpiece:
|Leg of lamb||2.5 kg approx|
|Long loaf (or white bread)||1 PC|
|White onion||4 things|
|Red onion||4 things|
|Rosemary||1 tsp dried + 3 sprigs|
|Vegetable oil||100 gr|
As usual, the meat will need to be marinated, which will take about 2 hours. Cooking in the oven itself will take about 2.5 hours. Calorie content in 100 g is 280 kcal.
- Wash the lamb leg and cut off the lower part (bone),
- If the meat is too fat, remove excess fat,
- Peel the garlic, cut each clove lengthwise into 3-4 parts,
- Puncture the whole surface of the meat, put garlic in each of them (leave some of it for later),
- Wipe the meat with salt and pepper on all sides, set aside in a cool place for a couple of hours,
- Meanwhile, peel the onion, cut each head into 4 pieces,
- Peel the carrots, cut into rings diagonally,
- Grease a large baking dish (or baking sheet) with oil, put vegetables on the bottom, salt them and pepper,
- Put a leg of lamb on vegetables, lay on top of a sprig of rosemary, and pour a little water on the bottom,
- Put the baking sheet in the oven (it must be heated to 250 °), bake for 1 hour, but at 220 °,
- Meanwhile, prepare crumbs for a specially crust: chop the loaf, chop the parsley very finely, let the remaining garlic cloves through the press, mix everything, add rosemary and thyme, then salt and season with vegetable oil,
- Remove the meat from the oven and grease it with a layer of mustard, and pour the obtained bread crumbs with seasonings on the mustard, press it firmly to the meat and again send it to the oven for 1.5 hours, while lowering the temperature to 170 °,
- Serve the finished dish whole, laying it with baked vegetables.
Mistresses should take note that meat such as lamb "loves" cilantro, parsley, dill and bay leaf.
If you cook lamb at the same time as vegetables, then the latter is best wrapped in foil and put on a baking sheet next to the meat.
Ready baked lamb leg should be stored in the refrigerator, but not more than 48 hours.
When choosing lamb meat, you should pay attention to its color: the brighter it is, the younger the animal, and therefore the more tender the dish will turn out.
Another recipe for a delicious baked lamb leg is in the next video.
Oven baked lamb leg
The lamb leg baked in the oven sounds absolutely magical and festive.
The approaching New Year, despite all the efforts of Mankind to put aside the joys of being, is still modestly, but persistently, reminds itself of itself with the aroma of mandarin and subtle hints of beautiful ladies that there’s nothing to wear, and absolutely! Well, well, in today's program we have baked leg of lamb in the oven!
I want to offer my dear readers today to plunge into the pleasant New Year chores - without haste and fuss, choose a “crown” dish for the festive table.
My advice: “Prepare a baked lamb leg!” I promise that your loved ones will then reconsider their attitude to lamb! Lamb leg - with the aroma of herbs, an appetizing crust, oozing flesh, baked in the oven to the right condition, will become a decoration of the meal.
If you cook this food, observing all the subtleties and technology, then it will be the best New Year's gift for your loved ones and friends. It’s worth a little tinkering for this!
To cook a lamb leg in the oven after some preliminary manipulations is not difficult and does not take much time (I mean “active” cooking).
the task on which the taste of the prepared dish depends is to choose this very leg of lamb. I give a kind of memo.
So that the lamb leg baked in the oven does not disappoint you and your guests, you should pay attention to this:
- White wine, curry, crushed garlic, mint, olive oil, salt.
- Red wine, crushed garlic, basil and thyme or savory, olive oil, salt.
- Balsamic vinegar, crushed garlic, mint, rosemary, olive oil, salt.
- Natural yogurt, a few grains of cardamom (do not overdo it!), Salt (I call this marinade "Bedouin").
The basis of the above marinades is olive oil. The remaining ingredients are supplements.
Experiment, guided by the rule "Everything in moderation!"
Oven temperature table for different degrees of preparedness of mutton baked in the oven
- Very juicy, with moist pink middle and blood, only warm inside ≈ 53 ° С
- Succulent enough, with a pinkish middle ≈ 57 ° С
- Pretty juicy, pinkish inside ≈ 63 ° С
- A little juicy, brownish-pink inside, fully baked, hot inside ≈ 67 ° С
- Dry, dirty pink-light, completely baked ≈ 71 ° С and higher
In order to measure the internal temperature, you need to use a special meat thermometer or an electronic thermometer with a probe. The thermometer must be stuck in the thickest place of the piece, without touching the bone. In France and Italy, 1-3 degrees of readiness are most preferred, and in our “Palestinians”, 4-5. In case you are not sure what degree of readiness your guests prefer, it is better to ask them in advance.
Based on the foregoing, the question: “How to cook a leg of lamb, baked in the oven, you can still answer this way:“ Observing the cooking technology. ”
In our family it is customary to call this dish "Roasted lamb leg in Roman style." My late father-in-law once read the recipe in an old Italian cookbook.
- Lamb leg 2.5 kg with bone.
- White bread crackers 1 cup with a volume of about 250 ml.
- Olive oil 200 ml.
- Parsley 3 tablespoons.
- Dill greens 3 tablespoons.
How to cook a lamb leg in the oven
Lamb - meat is very tasty, hearty and healthy. After all, sheep are usually grazed high in the mountains, where the air is cleaner and the grass is juicier. Therefore, ram meat is much cleaner than pig meat. Many doctors often advise giving children low-fat mutton. It contains less cholesterol than commonly used pork and beef.
But despite this, there is a lot of fat in the mutton, and the meat itself has a specific smell. Often this is the main reason for the low popularity of this type of meat. Many do not like him for a characteristic smell, or simply do not know how to cook deliciously. And to enjoy the taste of a wonderful lamb leg with vegetables, which we bake together now in the oven, we will resort to a little trick. And this trick is a special set of spices, which emphasizes the aroma of meat and its tenderness. Using these specific spices in the right amount, you can uncover all the charm of lamb. And vegetables baked in mutton fat will add their own shades of taste and you will get a wonderful full-fledged second course with mutton. Let's cook this dish together!
- 1 leg of lamb,
- 0.5 kg of potatoes
- 2 small carrots,
- 3 bell peppers,
- 4 medium onions,
- 2 small eggplant
- 6 meaty tomatoes,
- 3 cloves of garlic,
- 2 tbsp spices for mutton,
- 3 sprigs of parsley and basil, 3
- some vegetable oil
- salt to taste.
Oven lamb recipe with vegetables
1. Wash the lamb leg under running water and pat it with a paper towel. We remove the film with a knife, cut out thick veins. Cut the meat with a thin bone. For this part it will be convenient to take a leg of lamb.
2. We make 15-20 stabs with a knife so that the meat is tender.
3. We prepare the ingredients for the mixture, which we will rub the lamb leg. We will need a set of spices for lamb, 3 cloves of garlic and 50 ml of vegetable oil.
Now I would like to tell separately about the set of spices for cooking mutton. It can be found on the market from private traders, but you can assemble it yourself. It includes in equal proportions: zira, jambul, hazel curd, turmeric, paprika, regan, thyme, tomato and saffron. This set of spices is excellent for other dishes where lamb is used as the main ingredient. For example, he will make excellent pilaf with lamb.
4. In a separate small container, prepare a mixture for lubricating mutton.
5. Rub this mixture with a leg of lamb. Part of the mixture will remain, and we will use it a bit later.
6. We will bake the lamb leg in a large and deep pan. In between, we set the oven to heat up to 200 degrees.Grease a baking sheet with a kitchen brush with a thin layer of vegetable oil.
7. Spread the leg of lamb and meat cut off from the bone.
8. We wash the eggplants, cut into thick rings and sprinkle with salt on top to leave all the bitter juice. Leave for 5-10 minutes.
9. Peel, rinse and cut the potatoes into 2 or 4 parts. It will be tastier if all the vegetables are chopped coarsely.
10. Peel the carrots, rinse and cut into circles.
11. Onions are cleaned, washed and cut into large half rings.
12. We wash the eggplants under running water and spread on a baking sheet to the mutton with vegetables. Add salt and pour the remaining mixture with spices and vegetable oil.
13. Cover the baking sheet tightly with foil and send to the preheated oven for 50 minutes.
14. We make cuts on the tomatoes.
5. Dip the tomatoes for 5 minutes in boiling water so that it is easier to peel them.
6. Remove the hard peel.
7. Bell peppers clear of the stalk and seeds. Rinse and chop coarsely.
8. We take the lamb with vegetables from the oven and remove the foil.
9. Spread the tomatoes and bell pepper on top. Sent to the oven for another 5-7 minutes.
10. Check the vegetables for preparedness by piercing them with a fork. If the vegetables are poorly baked - we send them to the oven already without lamb, so as not to overdry the meat. But usually this time is enough for the vegetables to bake. Spread the lamb leg on a serving plate. Mix vegetables with lamb juice on a baking sheet, then put them on a dish.
11. Wrap the bone with foil. It’s convenient to take a leg for it to cut meat.
12. The most delicious and tender lamb leg in the oven is ready! Bon Appetit!
Shaping, preparation for baking, baking
After this time, we take out a leg from the marinade. Sew the hole with thin strong threads.
Lubricate the leg of the sheep with plenty of olive oil. With a generous hand, sprinkle the meat with white crackers (not small, made with your own hands),
mixed with chopped herbs, crackers are properly pressed to the surface of the lamb, pour olive oil on top and again pressed crackers. We put on a baking sheet greased with olive oil, the seam down. It turns out such a beauty.
We send the lamb leg to the oven preheated to 200С. Those who love completely fried meat - for 2-2.5 hours, those who prefer completely pink or pink meat - for 1-1.5 hours. In the presence of a thermometer, we are guided by the recommendation on the degree of readiness given above.
Serve and chop the finished baked lamb leg in the oven conveniently on a thick board. We put a papillot on the bone or just wrap it with a napkin,
holding the bone, cut neat slices.
This process was not possible to photograph - at first I cut the baked lamb leg, and the guests were fascinated by the process, and then they dared the meat with such speed that I did not have time to come to my senses.
Just "clicked" just before slicing. Sorry for the quality of the photo. This turned out to be a baked lamb leg in Roman style, surrounded by cocotte ladies with julienne.
My reader Alena from Moscow sent a photograph of the lamb leg she prepared in Roman. It looks just great!
Lamb leg in the oven with potatoes
Lamb leg 2.5 kg
Bacon 350 grams
Potato 2.5 kg
Branches of savory, thyme
Olive oil 70 ml
Pickle the lamb leg (marinade No. 1-No. 2), a day, then fry in a saucepan on all sides until a firm crust appears on 40-50 ml of olive oil. It takes about 20 minutes. Sprinkle lamb leg chopped herbs. Cut the bacon into slices, cover them with the whole ham, put it in a large baking dish.
Wash the potato, peel it, cut into large slices, blanch in boiling water for about 10 minutes. We put the prepared potatoes around the lamb leg, pour the remaining olive oil, cover the dishes with a fireproof lid.
First, the lamb leg with potatoes is baked in the oven, preheated to 200 ° C, for about an hour, then remove the lid. Next, a lamb leg with potatoes, is cooked in the oven for another 1 hour (for well-baked meat) or until the desired degree of readiness).
The lamb leg in the oven with potatoes is usually served in the same dish in which it was baked.
Lamb leg in foil
Lamb leg 2.5 kg
Bacon 250-300 grams
Lamb leg in foil - a dish that will give you a minimum of trouble. Place the leg in the marinade No. 1 or No. 2 for at least a day. Cut the bacon into fairly thin slices, cover the surface of the lamb leg with bacon, wrap the meat in two layers of foil.
We place the lamb leg in the foil in the oven preheated to 200 ° C. After half an hour, reduce the temperature in the oven to 180ºС. After 1.5 hours, cut the foil, expand the meat and bake for another 30 minutes without foil, pouring juice.
Lamb leg in foil, unusually good with boiled rice.
My margin notes
- Marinade should be rubbed into the pulp as it should.
- In the process of pickling, massage the meat so that the marinade is slightly absorbed into the meat.
- According to all the above recipes, you can cook lamb with bone and removing bones. Boneless lamb leg can be stuffed with kidneys, mushrooms, cheese, spicy herbs, raisins, prunes, dried apricots, ground nuts, chestnut paste.
- Do not overdo it with spices. Good meat only needs to emphasize its merits, and the disadvantages of bad "drown out" spices are impossible!
- It should be remembered that the success of a dish depends to a much greater extent on the quality of the starting products and the observance of cooking technologies than on a specific recipe. A lamb leg of excellent quality, which you simply bake with a minimum of suitable spices until golden brown and tender flesh will always be a success!
Baked lamb leg - a dish that has a huge advantage in the festive fuss. It can be prepared in advance, at least a few days before serving. Before the arrival of guests, the leg just needs to be reheated in the oven.
And for dessert, today we have our favorite song, from a past life - Abba - Happy New Year:
The best step by step recipes for lamb leg baked in the oven
It is believed that the lamb leg baked in the oven is a traditional dish of the national cuisine of peoples professing Islam. People who are used to beef or pork in the diet bypass lamb.
For the most part, this is due to the inability to get rid of the unpleasant odor, the need for lengthy preparation and heat treatment of this type of meat.
But when it is possible to find out a detailed recipe for any dish from the Internet, nothing prevents you from preparing a delicious, juicy, fragrant lamb at home. Yes, it will take a lot of time, but the result will exceed all expectations.
The problem with smell and stiffness will be solved if you buy a lamb or a young lamb. In milk lambs up to 3 months of age, meat is completely devoid of an unpleasant odor. One and a half year old sheep have a slight smell, but they can easily get rid of them by soaking the raw product in water.
Criteria for choosing a good young lamb
- Muscle fibers are pale pink with a small amount of white veins, films, light fat.
- The fat layer is evenly distributed over the entire surface.
- There should be no wool on the leg of the lamb.
- The optimal weight of the hind leg (on the bone) of the lamb, young lamb –1–2.5 kg.
- It is better to buy fresh, rather than frozen meat. You need to check this by pressing on the lamb leg with your finger: if a dent remains and blood is released, the product is stale.
An adult ram has bright red meat and yellow fat. It is harsh, has a strong specific odor and is not used for baking a whole piece on bones in the oven.
To be 100% sure that there will be no unpleasant aroma, the leg of the lamb is soaked for 12 hours in cold water before processing. Every 2-3 hours the water is changed. Then washed in cool water and dipped in paper towels.
What spices are lamb leg prepared with?
The classic spices for baked lamb are rosemary (fresh or dried ground) + garlic. It neutralizes the smell and makes the dish spicy zira. In Asian recipes pine nuts and cinnamon are often found.
The original taste of the lamb is given:
Before baking a lamb leg rubbed with a mixture of aromatic herbs and spices or pickled. There are many options for marinade. For example, salt + rosemary + black pepper.
Or: rosemary + vinegar + mustard + olive oil. Another example: garlic + soy sauce + olive oil + lemon juice.
For French cuisine, a classic of the genre is a combination of young lamb with mint and marinades based on red table wine.
So that the meat is completely saturated with the aromas of spices, it is well marinated, it is carefully rubbed with a mixture of herbs (immersed in a liquid marinade) and left to “rest” for at least an hour. Ideally, mutton is pickled from 5 to 24 hours.
How to achieve a golden crust on baked lamb
Before pickling, the product must be carefully cleaned of unnecessary elements. To begin, cut off a dry surface film with a sharp knife. Then remove excess fat, being careful not to damage muscle fibers.
In order to form an appetizing golden brown crust during baking, not all fat is cut from the leg of the lamb. It is necessary to leave a thin uniform layer of fatty tissue about 5–7 mm thick on mutton. Thanks to this trick, the meat cooked in the oven turns juicy inside and evenly browned from above.
If the leg is stuffed, then too many punctures do not need to be done. In addition, the lamb should be punctured no deeper than 2–4 cm. To preserve as much juice as possible in lamb, it is better to bake the leg in foil or culinary sleeve.
To get a crispy crust when baking a lamb leg in a sleeve or foil, almost finished meat is taken out of the oven, unwrapped, and watered with the allocated juice. The heating temperature is increased, returning the dish to bake for 12 minutes.
How long to cook a lamb leg in the oven
The lamb prepared for baking is placed exclusively in the oven warmed up to the required temperature. If this rule is neglected, there is a risk of getting unevenly baked, stiff, dry meat.
Calculate the time required to prepare the dish, based on the weight of a piece of lamb. The formula is simple: for 1 kg of product 40 minutes of baking in the oven, plus 20 minutes. The average heat treatment time for a lamb leg is 2.5–3 hours.
The readiness of the dish is determined by making a puncture in the thickest place of the lamb leg. If the resulting juice is clear, you're done. Using a culinary thermometer makes this even easier: the temperature inside a well-baked lamb leg should be between 65–70 degrees. It is important not to overdo the meat in the oven, otherwise it will become dry.
Baked lamb leg is not served immediately. You need to let her rest for 20 minutes in a cooling oven, so that the juice is evenly distributed inside the piece. After that, fragrant, juicy, tender lamb can be cut portionwise.
Baked lamb leg marinated in red wine with aromatic herbs
Ingredients for 6 servings:
- leg (on the bone) of a lamb weighing 2.5 kg,
- a bunch of fresh thyme,
- a bunch of fresh basil,
- 3 stalks of fresh rosemary,
- head of garlic
- 1 onion,
- a bottle (750 ml) of dry red wine,
- 100 ml of olive oil,
- 0.5 tsp black pepper (ground),
- 1 tbsp. l salt.
If there are no fresh herbs, you can replace them with dried ones.
Total cooking time - 15 hours 30 minutes. The nutritional value 100 g (in grams): proteins - 12.97, fats - 15.64, carbohydrates - 0.72. Calorie content - 208.16 kcal.
- A lamb leg is prepared for pickling: it is soaked for several hours, washed, dried, cleaned from films and fat.
- Peeled onion, garlic finely chopped.
- Washed greens finely chopped. Together with garlic and onions, pour into a deep container.
- Wine and olive oil are poured here. The marinade is mixed, the lamb leg is immersed in it.
- The container is tightened with cling film. The meat is left to marinate in the refrigerator for 12 hours. If the leg is not completely covered with liquid, you will have to turn it over or pour over the marinade several times.
- Meat, ready for further processing, is transferred to a deep pan with a wire rack. Marinade is also poured here.
- The oven is heated to 110 degrees. At this temperature, the leg of lamb is baked in herbs for 3 hours.
The dish is served hot or slightly cooled. Garnish - bulgur, boiled potatoes, grilled vegetables.
Lamb leg in herbs, baked with vegetables
Ingredients for 8 servings:
- lamb ham (on the bone) weighing 2.5 kg,
- 2 eggplant
- 2 carrots
- 3 bell peppers,
- 3 cloves of garlic,
- 4 onions,
- 6 juicy tomatoes
- 5 large potatoes,
- 50 ml of vegetable oil,
- fresh parsley - 3 stalks,
- fresh basil - 3 stalks,
- a mixture of oriental spices for lamb - 2 tbsp. l (jambul, zira, coriander, hazel, thyme, saffron, oregano, paprika, turmeric, tomato),
Total cooking time - 120 minutes. The nutritional value 100 g (in grams): proteins - 9.69, fats - 10.07, carbohydrates - 3.99. Calorie content - 144.14 kcal.
- The lamb leg is prepared in the standard way: washed, dried, cleaned from films and fat. A piece of meat is cut from a thin part of the bone.
- In several places, punctures up to 4 cm deep are made.
- Dry spices, salt, chopped garlic, oil are mixed in a bowl.
- Lamb leg carefully rub the mixture. Leave to marinate for an hour.
- The oven is turned on 200 degrees. Deep pan greased with vegetable oil. Spread lamb on a leaf.
- Wash eggplants, cut into 1 cm thick circles. Sprinkle with salt. After 15 minutes, when the bitterness leaves, washed with water.
- Peel, wash, cut the potatoes into large slices. Spread on a baking sheet around a mutton leg.
- Carrots are cleaned, washed, cut into circles. Sprinkle with potatoes with lamb.
- The peeled onions in half rings are also sent to the baking sheet.
- The last to join the mutton eggplant. The baking sheet is tightened with foil, the dish is placed in a hot oven for 50 minutes.
- On fresh tomatoes, cross cuts are made, dipped in boiling water for 3 minutes. Peel off. Cut into slices.
- Sweet pepper is cut into large cubes.
- Lamb leg with vegetables removed from the oven. The foil is removed.
- Tomatoes and bell peppers are spread on a baking sheet. Return the dish to the hot oven. Bake another 7 minutes.
- Lamb and vegetables are checked for readiness. If peppers, potatoes and eggplants are solid, the meat from the pan is transferred to the presentation dish, and the vegetables are baked separately.
Hot vegetables are mixed, watered with the allocated juice. They shift to a dish around a mutton leg. The dish is ready to serve.